Tandoori fish is a one of the healthiest sources of protein around. It’s very low fat and surprisingly easy to cook.
But I think many of us are a little scared of fish and stick to our old favourites like chicken. I like this recipe as the tandoori spices are mild and tasty. It’s definitely not a boring fish dish. And because the fish is so low calorie the whole dish comes in at just 154 calories.
This is the perfect dish for overcoming a fear of fish and trying new flavours.
Easy Tandoori Fish uses a combination of white fish (any white fish will do – I would recommend a boneless fillet for simplicity), salmon (to give you those essential omega-3 fats) and prawns (because they are the dieters friend!).
Easy Tandoori Fish
Serves 4 • Ready in 1½ hours
1 skinless haddock fillet, about 100g (3½oz) (125 cals)
1 skinless salmon fillet, about 130g (4½oz) (234 cals)
225g (8oz) raw king prawns (king shrimp) (171 cals)
lemon wedges, to serve
For the marinade:
4 tbsp low-fat plain yogurt (78 cals)
grated zest of 1 lemon
2.5cm (1in) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated (5 cals)
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely grated (3 cals)
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp garam masala
a pinch of salt
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Cut the trout and salmon into 4 pieces each, then place the trout, salmon and prawns (shrimp) in a plastic bag and spoon in the marinade. Make sure that all the fish is coated in the marinade. Seal and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 1–2 hours.
- Preheat the grill (broiler) to medium or light the barbecue. Put the salmon and trout pieces under the grill and cook for 6–8 minutes on each side. They should be brown and crispy and cooked through. Towards the end of the cooking time add the prawns as they only need 1–2 minutes each side, otherwise they will go rubbery.
- Serve on a bed of crispy salad leaves (100g/3½oz = 16 cals) with lemon wedges on the side.
- Real weight-loss that lasts
- Healthy & safe - helps blood sugar, cholesterol & energy
- Three balanced meals a day
- Clear advice that works
- Over 80 fresh and simple recipes