Don’t forget about the joys of asparagus this year. A seasonal veg that’s totally delicious and oh so good for you.
The kids have been off school this week, which means a week of trying to work before my teenagers get out of bed. A week of being a taxi service and social event organiser. Quite a lot of sitting, watching and drinking tea. Plus, my mastery of the incredibly complicated world of cricket is slowly improving…
But I get bored rigid of their lunchtime routine, when they’re having another cheese/crisps/sandwich combo…
I look for something quick and easy to prepare that is totally yummy and knocks the sandwich out of the park.
As some of you know, I’m also trying to reduce my carb intake as well and this is extremely low carb without feeling like you’re missing out.
It’s a great time of year for asparagus and it’s one of those foods that doesn’t need much adornment – I could happily eat it on its own with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. But that doesn’t quite make a full meal.
Asparagus pile up is the answer. A plate of food that looks amazing, tastes so good and is ready in 10 minutes flat.
Asparagus pile up
Lots of good things – together at last!
Serves 1 • Ready in 15 mins
1 large egg, at room temp (91 cals)
100g (3½oz) fine asparagus (25 cals)
10 cherry tomatoes, halved (22 cals)
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (27 cals)
1 tsp balsamic vinegar (5 cals)
handful rocket leaves (8 cals)
5g (1 tsp) Parmesan cheese, finely grated (21 cals)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Bring a small saucepan of water to a fast boil. Add a little vinegar and stir it so it swirls. Crack the egg on the side of the pan and drop into the water. Cook for one minute, then turn off the heat and leave the egg in the pan for a further 5 minutes.
• Lightly cook the asparagus by plunging into boiling water and boiling for 4–5 minutes, until just tender.
• Mix together the cherry tomatoes with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
• Put the asparagus and rocket leaves on a plate and pour the cherry tomatoes over.
• Carefully add the egg and to the pile. Finally, sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Real weight-loss that lasts
- Healthy & safe - helps blood sugar, cholesterol & energy
- Three balanced meals a day
- Clear advice that works
- Over 80 fresh and simple recipes